Prepare your flight
Travelling with infant
Here are some tips to help you planning your trip.
Infant : children under 2 years of age. An infant as young as seven days can travel on an Air Austral flight. Air Austral may request to see the infant’s birth certificate at check-in.
Fare and discounts
Infants can benefit from exclusive reductions : up to 90% fare discount. Please note that "infant" discount is not proposed for all Air Austral routes : consult our fare rules.
If your infant reaches the age of two during your journey : please contact our Air Austral agents for booking.
If the "infant discount" is applied, there is no allocated seat for your infant : he will travel on your lap. An infant must be accompanied by an adult.
The free baggage allowance is : 10 kg.
One adult may only accompany one infant
Who can accompany an infant:
- a passenger over the age of 18: father, mother, legal guardian;
- A passenger under the age of 18 can accompany an infant if he/she his : father, mother, legal guardian;
A second passenger is needed to allow travel with two infants..
An infant may sit on the parent or guardian's lap using an extension seat belt.
Your infant can travel on an indiviudal seat : select "child" instead of Infant on the booking form, subject to availability. Parents may bring on board an approved child safety seat, similar to that used in a car, but this seat will form part of your on-board baggage allowance. Our Air Austral staff will check the infant car seat at check-in for use onboard. The seat must be designed to be secured by means of a normal aircraft single lap strap and meet European safety standards requirements of ECE regulation.
You can also handle a carry-on baggage of 10 kg.
The infant should have his own passport when travelling to another country, although some countries still allow for the infant to travel on his parent's passport.
The identity card is valid only for french infants travelling to Reunion, Mayotte or whithin European Union. The family book is not considered as an identity document.
Transport of your pushchair
Air Austral transports your foldable pushchair, free of charge. You just have to show it during check-in.
To faciliate your crossing through the airport, you can keep your foldable pushchair until the door of the aircraft. Then, our staff will take it in charge. You will be able to pick it up on the baggage carroussel at your arrival.
Welcome aboard to all your family you benefit from a priority boarding when travelling with an infant.
Your infant can travel aboard bassinets (whose number is limited).
For long-haul flights, bassinets are offered on board and can be reserved.
They are attributed at the moment of check-in in priority to the youngest infants, then, on a first-come-first-served basis.
Weight limit : 10 kg max. - Height limit : 80 cm max.
- Age limit : 9 months
- Long-haul flights eligible from/to France
- A pre-reservation can be done at the latest 48 hours before departing, subject to availability, by contacting our call center : 0825 013 012
Bassinets are attributed only at the moment of check-in.
- A baby meal will be offered : request the "baby meal" during booking" or at the latest 48h prior to your scheduled flight departure: +33 825 013 012
- Changing tables in the toilets on board : Boeing 777
- Prepare : diapers, small clothes, wipes plus bottles, the usual food in sufficient quantity... Waiting periods at the airport, departure and arrival, can be long : bring some additionnal spare clothes.
- Medication in liquid form? Keep on hand prescriptions and your infant's health book.
- Air conditioning in the cabin accelerates dehydration. You may often offer water to your infant. Prepare warm clothes for his comfort.
- Take care of his eardrums : during take-off and landing, bottle ou teat will help him swallow. Swallowing helps to regulate pressure within ears.